- Hand luggage
- Hold luggage
- Outsize luggage
- Advice for all luggage
Here are our tips on packing smart and the policies that affect your hand or hold luggage.
When we refer to hand luggage, this is any item that you’ll be taking through airport security and not checking in to a bag drop. Make sure to check the weight and size permitted by your airline before packing.
To help avoid delays through security, please make sure you are familiar with the security process, including restrictions. To help you we’ve also created some easy tips for airport security do’s and don’ts.
In addition to restrictions that apply to all luggage, the following apply to hand luggage specifically:
- Liquids in containers holding more than 100ml
- 1 lighter to carry on board (it should be taken through security in a resealable bag and be kept on your person throughout the flight, not in your hand luggage)
Hold luggage is the baggage you’ll be checking in to the plane hold and not carrying through security. Please note that it will be subject to airline size and weight restrictions and you may incur charges for overweight baggage.
- Hold luggage restrictions and advice can be found on the government website.
- Failure to comply with this information will mean you are called back to check-in for a bag search.
- There are 2 check-in halls at Leeds Bradford Airport, see check-in to find out where to drop baggage for your flight.
To avoid luggage jamming on the baggage belt and aid the handling process, please make sure that:
- Extendable handles are retracted.
- Old barcodes or airline tags are removed.
- Zips are closed and secured.
- Any loose straps or flaps are securely fastened.
Heavy, odd-sized or larger than usual baggage may be treated as outsize luggage. You airline will be able to confirm the procedure for this but it may also alter how you need to check-in.
Wheelchairs and collapsible prams can be taken to the gate, but outsize items may include: golf bags, skis, bikes or large instruments. Make sure to check your airlines criteria at booking as additional charges may apply.
Advice for all luggage
- Ensure you pack your own bag and do not allow anyone to tamper with it.
- Do not carry anything belonging to others.
- Clearly label all your bags with your name and destination address.
- Observe the weight allowance for hold and hand baggage as allocated by your airline and detailed on your ticket.
- Never leave bags or personal belongings unattended in the terminal building. Unattended bags and belongings are considered a security risk and may be removed or destroyed.
Please do not pack any of the following items in any luggage type as they are not permitted for safety and security reasons:
- Flammable liquids and solids.
- Oxidisers such as bleaching powders.
- Organic peroxides.
- Tear gas devices or any gas cylinders.
- Infectious substances such as live virus materials.
- Wet-cell car batteries.
- Instruments containing mercury. Instruments containing magnets.
- Fireworks and pyrotechnics.
- Non-safety matches.
- Fire lighters, lighter fuel, paints, thinners.
- Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller.
- Radioactive materials, acids, corrosives, alkalis, caustic soda.
- Creosote, quicklime, oiled paper.
- Vehicle fuel system components which have contained fuel.
- Guns or firearms (including air rifles and starting pistols)
- Ammunition, detonators, blasting caps, mines, grenades, and related equipment and any other explosives.
- Smoke canisters and smoke cartridges.
Head to our guide to passenger security to make sure you’re familiar with the restrictions and procedures related to your luggage.
Lost luggage? Find out what steps you can take to get it back on our Lost Property page.